Sharepoint Designer 2010 List views

Can I find anything good on how these work? - can I heck as like ... not a sausage. Well that's not entirely true there are three blog posts , here is the first:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sharepointdesigner/archive/2009/11/16/sharepoint-2010-list-view-blog-series-part-1-introduction-to-the-new-list-view.aspx by Greg Chan, but though he promises oodles of posts we have but three. So like the Flash Gordon style cliff-hangers of old we are left not knowing how Flash escapes certain doom, in our case we don't know how we are to get out of list view doom.
Don't get me wrong, list view are good because they look to scale much better than what we had before but but how do you do any of the things we'd do in DVWP's I've not found out yet, excepting to say that jquery looks to come to our aid for the purpose of representing lists in whatever way we need for example you want horizontal lists, here is some jquery that looks to do the trick http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepointcustomization/thread/ef43f6bd-1276-4760-8996-a6c9eedf75db
I am hoping there are great untapped depth in this that I just haven't got to the bottom of yet.